Lucretia Berry • October 2, 2023
Get ready for an inspiring event that’s all about shaping the future of education in North Carolina! The 2023 Color of Education Summit is just around the corner, and it’s brought to you by an incredible partnership including the Dudley Flood Center for Educational Equity & Opportunity, the Public School Forum of North Carolina, the Samuel DuBois Cook Center on Social Equity at Duke University, the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University’s Sanford School of Public Policy, and the expertise of Sandra Wilcox Conway from Conway and Associates.
The summit bridges research, policy, and practice to tackle racial inequities and dismantle systemic racism in education across our state. This is a unique opportunity to bring together communities, educators, policymakers, experts, and other key stakeholders to work towards a more equitable educational landscape. In fact, this year, Dr. Tehia Starker Glass and I are the plenary session speakers presenting ‘Teaching for Justice & Belonging in Community.‘ How appropriate!
At the 2023 summit, you’ll witness the power of collective action, explore the benefits of co-creating spaces with diverse stakeholders, and uncover the connections between our past and present educational policies to gain a deeper understanding of how these policies impact outcomes today.
Here are some key objectives for this year’s summit:
- Identifying Solutions: We’ll tackle challenges head-on in resistant climates, working together to create effective solutions.
- Motivating Change: We’re here to inspire diverse stakeholders to join forces and take collective action for meaningful change in education.
- Historical Insights: By examining the connections between past and present strategies, we’ll gain valuable insights into how to influence collective change.
- Policy Impact: We’ll dive into the impact of policies on past and present events, while also exploring innovative solutions to influence policy for the better.
- Resources: You’ll leave with a toolkit of resources ready for practical application in your work.
- Networking: Connect with like-minded practitioners and advocates who are as passionate about education equity as you are.
Don’t miss out on this transformative event that promises to shape the future of education in North Carolina.
Dr. Glass and I would love to sign your copy of Teaching for Justice & Belonging at the summit!